My research interest is in eye movement and attention, and the application of psychological
theories and paradigms in real-world tasks, for example, human computer interaction
and driving. My current research projects include 1) detection of driver fatigue and
distraction using vehicle dynamics, eye movement, and EEG, 2) performance changes
and mechanisms of distracted driving and automation assisted driving. 3) query suggestions
and tagging behaviors in web searches. The goal of my research is to understand human
cognitive processes and develop technologies to improve performance, increase user
experience, and mitigate human error.
Dr. He has published over 25 peer- reviewed journal articles in psychology, computer
science and transportation safety. Dr. He has invented eight patents, which have been
filed in United States, China and 27 European countries. Dr. He has received funding
over 1,140,760 USD, including funding from National Science Foundation. Dr. He is
the recipient of Star of Tomorrow Award from Microsoft and Most Valuable Graduate
from University of Illinois. His work has been reported by Bloomberg News, Forbes,
Kansas City Star, New York Public Radio, and APA Monitor.
Selected Journal Publications:
- Maiti, A., Jadliwala, M., He, J., & Bilogrevic, I. (2018). Side-channel inference attacks on mobile keypads using
smartwatches, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.[SCI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact
Factors = 2.456].
- He, J., Crager, K., McCarley, J.S., Jadliwala, M., & Huang, S. (2018). Do wearable devices
bring distraction closer to drivers? Comparing smartphones and Google Glass. Applied
Ergonomics. [SCI, EI, SSCI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 1.713].
- Sun, Q., Xia, J.H., He, J., Foster, J., Falkmer, T., & Lee, H. (2018). Towards unpacking older drivers’ visual-motor
coordination: A gaze-based integrated assessment system. Accident Analysis & Prevention.
[EI Index, SRJ Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 2.070].
- Turner, C.J., Chaparro, B.S., & He, J. (2018). Text entry on a smartwatch QWERTY keyboard while walking. Journal of Usability
- Rafi, M., Chandrasekaran, B., Kusmez, B., Steck, J. E., & He, J. (2017). Real-Time Google Glass Heads-Up Display for Rapid Air-Traffic Detection.
Journal of Aircraft. 1-12. [EI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 0.835].
- He, J., Choi, W., Yang, Y., Lu, J.S., Wu, X.H., & Peng, K.P. (2017). Detection of driver
drowsiness using wearable devices: A feasibility study of the proximity sensor. Applied
Ergonomics.1-8. [SCI, EI, SSCI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 1.713].
- Cao, S., Ho, A.S., & He, J. (2017). Modeling and predicting mobile phone touchscreen typing using an intergraded
cognitive architecture. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 1-13.
[SCI, EI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 1.476].
- Sanchiz, M., Chin, J., Chevalier, A., Fu, W. T., Amadieu, F., & He, J. (2017). Searching for information on the web: Impact of cognitive aging, prior domain
knowledge and complexity of the search problems. Information Processing & Management,
53, 281–294.[SCI, SSCI Index, Impact Factors = 1.397].
- Turner, C. J., Chaparro, B. S., & He, J. (2017). Text Input on a Smartwatch QWERTY Keyboard: Tap vs. Trace. International
Journal of Human–Computer Interaction, 1-8. [SCI, EI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact
Factors = 1.476].
- Wang, W., Hernandez, I., Newman, D. A., He, J., & Bian, J. (2016). Twitter Analysis: Studying US Weekly Trends in Work Stress and
Emotion. Applied Psychology, 65(2), 355-378.
- Goldstein, G., He, J., Ruthven, L., & Walker, J. (2016). An Introduction to the Ruthven Impairment Assessment
(RIA): A Stability Study. Applied Neuropsychology: Adult, 1-7.
- Maiti, A., Armbruster, O., Jadliwala, M., & He, J. (2016). Smartwatch-Based Keystroke Inference Attacks and Context-Aware Protection
Mechanisms. The Proceedings of the 11th ACM on Asia Conference on Computer and Communications
Security (ASIACCS), Xi’An, China, May 30 – June 3, 2016.
- Rafi, M., Chandrasekaran, B., Kusmez, B., Steck, J. E., & He, J. (2016). A Dynamic Heads-Up Air Traffic Locator & Collision Advisory Display Using
Google Glass. In AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference (p. 1627-1635).
- He, J., Chaparro, A., Wu, X., Crandall, J., & Ellis, J. (2015). Mutual interferences of driving
and texting performance. Computers in Human Behaviors, 52, 115-123.
- He, J., Choi, W., McCarley, J.S., Chaparro, B., & Wang, C. (2015). Texting while driving
using Google Glass: Promising but not distraction-free. Accident Analysis & Prevention,
- Maiti, A., Murtuza, J., He, J., & Bilogrevic, I. (2015). (Smart) watch your taps: A comprehensive study of side-channel
keystroke inference attacks on modern touchpads using smartwatches. Annual Computer
Security Applications Conference. Los Angeles, CA, December 7-11, 2015.
- Cheng, Z., Zhuo, G., Yue, Z., & He. J. (2015). Own-race faces capture more attention than other-race faces: Evidence from
response time and N2pc ERP signal. PLOS ONE. 10(6):e0127709. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0127709
- Goldstein, G., He, J., & Ruthven, L. (2015). An introduction to the Ruthven Impairment Assessment (RIA):
A reliability study. Applied Neuropsychology: Adult
- He, J., Chaparro, A., Nguyen, B., Burge, R. J., Crandall, J., Chaparro, B., Ni, R., & Cao,
S. (2014). Texting while driving: Is speech-based text entry less risky than handheld
text entry? Accident Analysis & Prevention, 72, 287-295.
- He, J., Choi, W., & Ellis, J. (2014). Driving and texting performance when drivers text behind
the wheel. Journal of Ergonomics, 3,1-2.
- He, J., McCarley, J. S., & Kramer, A.F. (2014). Lane keeping under cognitive distraction:
Performance changes and mechanisms. Human Factors, 56, 414-26.
- He, J., Bryant, L., Stover, C., & Patterson, J.A. (2014). Measuring heart rate with webcam
and mobile devices: A performance validation study. International Journal of Applied
Science and Technology.
- He, J., Roberson, S., Fields, B., Peng, J., Cielocha, S., & Coltea, J. (2013). Fatigue detection
using smartphones. Journal of Ergonomics, 3, 1-7.
- He, J., Becic, E., Lee, Y.C., & McCarley, J. S. (2011). Mind wandering behind the wheel:
Performance and oculomotor correlates. Human Factors, 53, 13-21.
- He, J. & McCarley, J. S. (2010). Executive working memory load does not compromise perceptual
processing during visual search. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 72, 308-316.
- Fu, W. T., Kannampalli, T. G., Kang, R., & He, J. (2010). Semantic imitation in social tagging. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human
Interaction, 17, 1-37.
- Chin, J., Chevalier, A., He, J., & Fu, W.T. (2014). Linking knowledge in the head to knowledge in the world: Age
differences in web exploration with the search engine. Cognitive Aging Conference. April 3-6, 2014, Atlanta, GA.
- Choi, W., He, J., Ellis, J. (2014). Does more attention improve or impair lane keeping performance?
Capitol Graduate Research Summit, Kansas, U.S.
- * WSU Graduate School Scholarship for the Capitol Graduate Research Summit.
- He, J. (2014). Mobile Technology to Monitor Drowsiness. 71th Annual Kansas Public Health Association Fall Conference, September 29 – October 1, Topeka, KS.
- He, J., Ang, C.W., Miller, A.J., Maddali, V., Gaspar, J.G., Carbonari, R.S., Kaczmarski,
H.J., Kramer, A.F., & Mathewson, K.E. (2014). Keep your mind on the road: Predicting
mind-wandering while driving using classification of pre-probe oscillatory brain activity
and driving performance. Proceedings of Vision Science Society. St. Pete Beach, Florida.
- He, J., Chaparro, A., Crandall, J., Turner, C., Turner, K., & Ellis, J. (2014). Mutual
interferences of driving and texting performance. Proceedings of Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Chicago, IL.
- He, J., Chaparro, A., Crandall, J., Turner, C., Turner, K., Ellis, J. (2014). Mutual Interferences
of Driving and Texting Performance. Capitol Graduate Research Summit, Kansas, U.S.
- He, J., Chaparro, B., & Haskins, C. (2014). USee: A mobile usability research tool using
Google Glass. Proceedings of Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Chicago, IL.
- He, J., Chaparro, A., Nguyen, B., Burge, R., Crandall, J., Chaparro, B., Ni, R., Cao, S.
(2013).Texting While Driving: Is Speech-Based Texting Less Risky than Handheld Texting?
Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications, October 28 - 30 2013, Eindhoven, Netherlands.
- He, J., Fields, B., Peng, J., Cielocha, S., Coltea, J., Roberson, S. (2013). Driver fatigue
detection using a webcam or a smartphone. Proceedings of The 6th The Eye, The Brain and The Auto World Research Congress, Dearborn, MI.
- He, J., Fields, B., Peng, J., Cielocha, S., Coltea, J., Roberson, S. (2013). Fatigue detection
using smartphones. International Conference on Psychology and Application, Beijing, China.
- Ren, Z. Q., Wang, C. &, He. J. (2013). Vehicle detection using Android smartphones. 7th International Driving Symposium on Human Factors in Driver Assessment, Training
and Vehicle Design. Bolton Landing, New York.
- He, J. , Chaparro, B., Siu, C., & Strohl, J. (in press). Mobile eye tracking. Chapter 10
of Eye Tracking in User Experience Design. Published by Morgan Kaufmann.
- He, J. (2009). Behavioral and physiological measures of user experience. Chapter 7 of Measure User Experience. Published by Mechanical Industrial Publisher.
- He, Jibo, Brian M. Fields, Steve Roberson, Steve Cielocha, Jufeng Peng, and Julian Coltea.
"System and method to monitor and reduce vehicle operator impairment." U.S. Patent
Application 13/717,506, filed December 17, 2012. (Link to Patent)
- He, Jibo, Brian M. Fields, Steve Roberson, Steve Cielocha, Jufeng Peng, and Julian Coltea.
"System and method to adjust insurance rate based on real-time data about potential
vehicle operator impairment." U.S. Patent Application 13/717,514, filed December 17,
2012. (Link to Patent)
- Plummer, Bryan Allen, Parker Andrew Brown, Jibo He, Brian M. Fields, Steve Roberson, Steve Cielocha, and Jufeng Peng. "Systems and Methodologies
for Real-Time Driver Gaze Location Determination and Analysis Utilizing Computer Vision
Technology." U.S. Patent Application 13/908,114, filed June 3, 2013. (Link to Patent)
- He, J., Roberson, S., Nepomuceno, J., Jain, N., Plummer, B., Houdek, K. (Patent pending).
Real-time driving observation and scoring for driver’s education.
- He, J. & Patterson, J. (Patent pending). Non-Invasive Approach to Measure Physiological
Responses During Physical and Work Activity
Research by our group has received extensive media coverage, and I am interviewed
by almost all media in Wichita city, and by some national wide professional association.
Below is a list of media coverage:
- Wichita State University
- Our research is featured at WSU’s homepage for over one week.
- Kake News
- New gadgets continue to distract drivers
- WSU researcher wants to make Google Glass safer (appear in a large local television station)
- Wichita Business Journal
- Wichita Eagle
- Google Glass users see potential for business, travel and even grocery shopping
- Wichita State professor studying No. 2 killer: distracted driving (front page cover story)
- New heart app highlights ties between Wichita State, academic inventors
- Insurance News Net
- KFDI news
- Our driving study was featured on December 29, 2013 in KFDI News , a large radio station
in Wichita (FM101.3).
- Glass Almanac
- Driving While Wearing Glass? University Researcher Tries to Make it Safer
- APA Monitor
- A national wide professional association
- Interviewed by APA Monitor, report to appear in March 2014.