Computer-Based Proctoring Procedures and Options at Wichita State
Before you choose to require procotoring for one of your online tests, please review Instructional Design and Access's information on improving test integrity. There are many test creation strategies you can employ that may make proctoring unnecessary for some or all of your online tests. Also, if you are looking for in-person proctoring options, please review "Options for Proctored Exams" here.
Requirements for All Remote Proctoring
Regardless which of the remote proctoring options you choose, to use them, students must have certain hardware and be able to download software. The following requirements must be listed in your syllabus.
In order to use required proctoring in this course, all students must:
- have a working webcam and microphone
- be able to download and install software on their computer
- be able to disable or alter various settings on their computer
- be able to troubleshoot audio or video options, often on their own
- have access to a desktop or laptop computer. Proctoring will not work on a mobile device or Chromebook.
- set up any software ahead of their exam time – recommended one business day before in case they need additional support troubleshooting issues or finding a different option
Proctoring Options Without Cost to Students
Whether you decide to require proctoring once the semester is underway or you simply prefer to have options that do not require students to pay extra for proctoring, there are two good no-cost online proctoring options for you to consider.
- Respondus LockDown Browser (with or without) Monitor: With this software, students are unable to leave the browser window that contains their test. Adding the Monitor feature allows for student identity checking and also leverages artificial intelligence to flag suspected cheating behaviors. There is no live proctor with this option. For more information about Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, please review our Respondus webpage.
- Zoom Proctoring: A faculty member, graduate student, or other person serving as a proctor can monitor their students taking live exams using the Zoom platform. If you are interested in using Zoom to proctor your students, please review our Zoom Proctoring webpage.
Proctoring Options With Cost to Students
Before you review this section, please be aware that all proctoring costs must be divulged to students in the syllabus at the begining of the course. Paid proctoring options may not be added to a course once it is underway. This includes during the COVID-19 shutdown.
Paid proctoring options at Wichita State include:
- ProctorU (COVID-19 Shutdown information): If you are considering ProctorU, you must also review our ProctorU webpage. If your department is paying for ProctorU during the COVID-19 shutdown then you
may require it now even if if it not listed as a requirement in your original syllabus,
and you have two options to choose from. Both are only available during finals scheduled
to take place between May 9-14, 2020. You can choose either "Review+," at $10 an exam or "Live+" at $18 for a one-hour
exam or $25 for a two-hour exam.
- With Review+, tests are recorded and then reviewed by trained ProctorU proctors. Tests
with issues are forwarded to faculty.
- This service may only work on Windows and Mac OS.
- Tests need to be set up ahead of time so they can be reviewed by ProctorU staff.
- Students have to schedule their exam time with ProctorU.
- With Live+, tests are proctored live by trained proctors. Screen sharing, webcam,
audio, and environment are all monitored by the proctor.
- The exam has to have a password that you provide to ProctorU and set up in Blackboard.
- This service is only available for Windows and Mac OS computers.
- Students have to download software that allows ProctorU to control their computer remotely in order for ProctorU to enter the required password.
- Faculty must schedule the exam at least 7 days in advance, and students must schedule their individual test time at least 72 hours in advance.
- With Review+, tests are recorded and then reviewed by trained ProctorU proctors. Tests with issues are forwarded to faculty.
- ProctorU Typical Instructions: If you are considering ProctorU, you must also review our ProctorU webpage. ProctorU must be listed as a requirement in your syllabus, and the costs for the service must also be disclosed. If you have made those arrangements already, then you have chosen between Review+ and Live+ already as well, and at this point there is nothing more to do except ensure you have scheduled your exam with ProctorU.
- If you need assistance with setting up ProctorU options, please contact Testing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.