- Graduate School Exception Form
The exceptions process allows students to petition for exceptions to specific academic rules and regulations. Exception petitions are considered by the Professional Education and/or College Exception Committees. Some petitions also require a decision from the University Exceptions Committee.
Types of Exceptions
College & University Decisions
- Late withdraw from courses (Current Semester or Previous Semester)
- Late add/drop of courses
- Medical Withdraw
- Change Credit to Audit or Audit to Credit
Professional Education Unit Exceptions Decisions
- Any request that does not align with policies set by ILTPC for Teacher Education (Teacher Education Application, Standardized Tests, etc...)
- Approval of Department Decisions (i.e, Substitution of courses in program, Student Teaching Placement, etc...)
- Completes Exception Form
- Attach necessary documentation with required signatures
- Submit form to College of Applied Studies Advising (CASA) by mail, fax, in person, or email
Mail to: Wichita State University - Applied Studies Advising
1845 Fairmount St., Box 131
Wichita, KS 67260-0131
Fax: (316) 978-3302
In Person: Corbin Education Center, Room 107
All requests must be signed by an advisor with supporting documentation.
» College of Applied Studies Exception Form for University Policy
» College of Applied Studies Exception Form for Teacher Education
» College of Applied Studies Exception Form for Teacher Education Field Experience
» College of Applied Studies Exception Form for Change of Field Placement, University Supervisor, or Success Coach
The deadline for submitting petitions for exceptions, across all colleges, is Monday,
ten days prior to the University Exceptions Council (UEC) meeting. Results will be emailed to the
student by the Monday following the UEC meeting.
Monday, August 3, 2020
Monday, September 7, 2020
Monday, October 5, 2020
Monday, November 9, 2020
Monday, November, 30, 2020
Monday, January 4, 2021
Monday, February 8, 2021
Monday, March 1, 2021
Monday, April 5, 2021
Monday, May 3, 2021
Monday, June 7, 2021
Monday, July 5, 2021
How to Improve Your Request for an Exception
The request for an exception to a college or university regulation is a request for special consideration. The obligation to clearly and completely present the case rests with the student. Exceptions are never automatically granted. Do not treat this request as a trivial or casual event.
The guidelines offered here are suggestions for improving your chances of getting approval of your request.
1. Seek advice:
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor or your faculty advisor to discuss your case. If the request involves a specific course, discuss it with the instructor. Some requests can be strengthened if accompanied by the instructor's endorsement.
2. Fill out the form appropriately:
- In Part I, state WHAT you are requesting (e.g., readmission, late drop, etc).
- In Part II, clearly state WHY you are requesting the exception. Demonstrate why, your situation, the rule or the requirement should be waived.
- Attach documents that support your case. For example, in the case of an illness, attach medical documentation.