Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA)
The Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA) is implemented each semester, in hopes of assessing student learning outcomes. The assessment measures CLA+ students’ performance in analysis and problem solving, scientific and quantitative reasoning, critical reading and evaluation, and critiquing an argument, in addition to writing mechanics and effectiveness.
According to the Council for Aid to Education, the test company, the CLA:
- challenges students to demonstrate skills, rather than to simply recall information.
- challenges students to address real-life issues presented in performance tasks.
Students need to be able to analyze and evaluate information, solve problems, and communicate effectively. Beyond simply accumulating facts, they must be able to access, structure, and use information.
Use of Data
The CLA measures how well WSU is teaching critical thinking, analytic reasoning, problem-solving and writing skills.
The annual report is shared with the following groups:
- University Assessment Committee
- Council Of Deans
- Faculty Senate – Academic Affairs Committee
- Students who complete the survey are eligible for ONE of two options:
- $25 QT Gift Card
- $25 WSU Shocker Dollars: Shocker Dollars can be used at all the RSC food operations – Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Panda Express, Chick Fil A, Freddy’s, & Shocker Sports Grill. They can also be used at the Shocker Dining Hall and the GroundHouse (C-Store outside of the Dining Hall).