Flags Header

Obtaining a Social Security Card

Before an international student can begin working on campus at Wichita State University, they must obtain a Social Security card. Once an offer of on-campus employment has been made, please follow these steps:

  1. The department offering the position should provide the student with a written offer of employment. The Social Security Administration (SSA) requires specific information, therefore, we advise using the format specified in the Human Resources department's International Student Employment Verification Letter.  IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE SPELLING AND ARRANGEMENT OF YOUR NAME ON THE JOB OFFER LETTER MATCH YOUR PASSPORT.
  2. Submit the written job offer and a copy of your I-94/electronic arrival information to International Education. The I-94 can be obtained on the Customs and Border Protection website. Within 3 business days, IE will prepare an Employment Eligibility Verification. This verification letter confirms the student is enrolled at Wichita State University and is eligible to work on campus.
  3. Take the following items to the Social Security Administration:
  • Completed Social Security Application form which can be obtained at an SSA office or online: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
  • Employment offer letter from a campus department
  • Employment Eligibility Verification prepared by International Education
  • Continued Attendance I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 with work authorization (for J-1 students)
  • Valid passport and I-94
Note for F-1 students: Students applying for a Social Security card after being approved for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization will need to have an I-20 reflecting that CPT authorization when visiting the SSA. Students approved for Optional Practical Training (OPT) do not need a job offer or Employment Eligibility Verification. The student should present his or her valid EAD, I-20, passport, I-94, and completed SSN application to the Social Security Administration.

It is recommended that you wait at least 10 days after entering the U.S. to apply for a Social Security card.

The local Social Security Administration office is located at 3216 N Cypress Street, Wichita, Kansas 67226. You can reach them by phone at 1-866-931-9173. For office hours and additional information, visit: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/