Frequently Asked Questions

Taking the step to submit a concern about someone can evoke mixed feelings. Below are a few common questions people have about this process.

If you need immediate assistance after normal business hours, please contact Wichita State University Police Department at 316-978-3450.

Why should I contact the Care Team?
If a community member (student, faculty or staff) behaves in a way that is disruptive or poses a threat to any aspect of the university community, such behaviors should be reported to the Care Team.
Is Care the same as Counseling?
No. While Counseling and Prevention Services has a presence on the Care Team and is one of the resources we can recommend to students, Care Team is not part of Counseling and Counseling is not part of Care Team. Care Team itself does not provide counseling services, but when appropriate it may reach out to students who might benefit from counseling and who may not otherwise seek those services.
How do I connect with the Care Team?

You can submit a concern through the Care Team reporting page (click here). You can call the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Assessment and Retention, Alicia Newell, at 316-978-6105 during regular business hours and ask to schedule an appointment. You can also email the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs, Alicia Newell, at or stop by room 231 in the Rhatigan Student Center.

 What can I expect when I submit a concern?

If you included contact information, when you submit a concern you'll receive an email confirming receipt. Someone from Care Team may or may not reach out to you to discuss your submission, depending on the case, our ability to reach the student and whether or not we need any additional information.

The Care Team will address every report that is brought to the committee. However, you may not be privy to the outcome of an investigation based on the factors involved. We appreciate members of our campus taking the time to submit concerns they may have; however, we hope submitters understand that once a case is submitted, that information becomes confidential and we are not at liberty to disclose information about the case without a signed Release of Information from the student.

Although action will depend upon the situation, the Care Team will intervene in support of the person of concern, as well as campus safety.

What if I am wrong about the person?

You are registering a concern based on an observed behavior (e.g., verbal exchange, action, etc.), not making a determination. By alerting the appropriate campus representatives, a safety determination can be made.

How should I approach the person? Should I approach the person?

As a caring individual, you may desire to reason with or explore the source of the actions of the person in question. However, based on the threat level, this mentoring approach may not be the best course of action. Always assess the risk. Should you have any concern about your safety or the safety of others, your best course of action for the safety of all involved is to access intervention from people who are trained in these areas.

I don't have a great deal of information; should I wait before notifying someone?

Sometimes we don't have all the information. Let the Care Team weigh the information and see if gathering more facts is warranted as a response plan is evaluated. Bring what you have because others may have evidence too.

Who has access to this information?
The Care Team is the primary responding body at the university. In the event that additional resources need to be mobilized in order to effectively respond to a situation, reported information will be handled discreetly.
Will this report adversely affect this person's status as a student or employee?
You are doing the right thing in reporting your concerns in support of individuals' and our campus safety. However, this action may also raise concern for the person involved. The Care Team takes into account the concerns of the campus, as well as the needs of the student, faculty or staff member about whom concerns are expressed. Whether the overall review of information will adversely affect the person's status as a student or employee will depend on the situation.
Will the person be able to find out that I submitted the concern?
The Care Team will attempt to handle all matters discreetly. We cannot guarantee that the person(s) involved will not be able to find out the source of the report. However, our intention is not to divulge this information.
Can I submit a concern anonymously?
Yes. However, you are encouraged to identify yourself because this may assist the Care Team if clarification or additional information is needed. Submitting your name also gives your report more credence. Anonymous entries will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
What do I do if I know a student who may need to be referred to the Care Team?

If you feel there is an immediate threat, call 911.

To make a referral, use the incident reporting form (click here). You will be asked for basic information about the student, how to contact you (in the event the Care Team has follow-up questions) and for a description of the incident or behaviors that prompted the referral.

You are the Care Team's best resource because you are familiar with the student. If you are comfortable doing so, tell the student that you are concerned and ask if they are okay. In many cases students will indicate that they could use some help and you can refer them to Counseling & Prevention Services at

Who can make a Care Team referral?
Anyone who feels a student is a threat to themselves and/or others, or is exhibiting behaviors disruptive to the mission of the community, can make a Care Team referral; including students, parents, faculty and staff, and other community members.
What happens after I make the referral?
The team of members from student services, academic affairs and the counseling services are able to take the information and make a decision about whether the student should be assessed by counseling center staff. However, reporting is the most critical step. Refer to the Resources page to find contact information if you believe these departments can assist you.
What happens to the student in the Care Team process?
If the team determines the student is appropriate for the Care Team process, they will be contacted and either the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs or the Student Engagement Coordinator will meet with them. They may be instructed to undergo an assessment at Counseling & Prevention Services. The type of assessment is dependent on the particular behavior. Students are generally required to undergo a minimum of four sessions of assessment by the Counseling Center staff.
Can I submit a concern about myself?
Of course! Care Team exists to help. If you are struggling, please don't assume you need to wait until it gets to the point that someone else notices.

Do you have questions that weren't answered here? Reach out to us at

If you need immediate assistance after normal business hours, please contact Wichita State University Police Department at 316-978-3450.