Wichita State University
Curriculum Change Guidelines

The university curriculum change process reflects the University's traditional commitment to two concepts:

  1. that the curriculum is a primary concern of the faculty from which changes are to be initiated; and
  2. that department and college curriculum committees play an essential role, along with the various levels of academic administration, in curriculum development, approval, and implementation.

Two electronic forms are available; one for creating or changing a course and the other for creating or changing a program. University courses and programs to be listed in the WSU Undergraduate Catalog and WSU Graduate Catalog must be submitted using these electronic forms. The process typically originates with department faculty and proceeds through the college. Where college policy requires, additional steps may be added to the process. In cases where programs from more than one college are affected, the proposals will be sent electronically to the affected college(s) as a courtesy and to the Academic Affairs Committee for approval before being sent to the office of the Provost for approval. When appropriate, other governing committees such as the General Education Committee or Graduate School will also electronically review proposed changes before the request for change is routed to the office of the Provost.

Faculty is required to note the effect of change on students and/or programs in other departments and/or colleges on the University Curriculum Change Form provided online. In order to facilitate the discussion between departments and/or colleges, agendas for each College Curriculum Committee meeting will be forwarded to the deans of all colleges and to the Coordinator of Collection Development of the library. Electronic posting is encouraged.

Cross-Listed Changes

All courses, which are cross-listed, must proceed through both departments and/or colleges before they will be approved centrally.

Steps in the Change Process

  1. Perceive need for change
  2. Determine level and type of change(s).
  3. Seek information required on form.
  4. Fill out the electronic University Curriculum Change Form.
  5. Attach syllabus. Make sure to follow sample syllabus (including course objectives; definition of a credit hour; disability services statement; and academic honesty policy). (See Blackboard/Support/Faculty Development).
  6. Department faculty and/or Department Curriculum Committee discuss, review, and if approved, send the proposal electronically to the Department Chair. The change then proceeds through the College Curriculum Committee, the College Dean, (if deemed necessary, the SGA for comment to the Provost only), then the Provost to assure routing to: the General Education Committee (General Education Courses only), the Graduate Dean and/or Graduate School (for courses numbered 500 and above), the Academic Affairs Committee (for courses affecting students and/or programs in more than one college), or directly to the Provost.

    If, at any point, the change is not approved, the electronic form will be returned to the Department Chair and Faculty with comments.

    If the Provost finds that the curriculum change form has been inappropriately routed, the Provost will forward the form to the appropriate place.

    If the Provost does not approve the change(s), the materials may be returned to any previous program or committee with notification to the appropriate faculty and college dean(s).

    If the Provost approves, the proposal is routed to the Department Chair for implementation and to the College Dean as notification. Copies are sent to the Registrar for updating the university systems and to the Catalog Editor for inclusion in the next online catalog.

Course Numbering Guidelines

COURSE LEVEL: Follow the definitions from the KBOR Policy manual (reproduced with WSU additions below).


In order to maintain a common system of classification of academic information for all Regents Institutions, course levels are to be identified by the first digit catalog course number as Follows:

Remedial/no credit courses. Non-remedial Zero credit-hour courses should be numbered above 100
Lower division undergraduate designed as Freshman-Sophomore courses.
Upper division, undergraduate. Designed for Juniors and Seniors. Freshmen and Sophomores may be admitted if they meet the prerequisites.
Upper division, undergraduate. Primarily for Juniors and Seniors, with enrollment of less than 50% master’s students.

Syllabi should include different expectation for graduate students in the course. A discerning higher level of performance is expected from graduate students, with the nature of this differential performance set by the professor. If graduate students are not allowed in the course, a level restriction should be added to the course description.
Graduates and upper division. For master’s students, primarily with enrollment of less than 50% undergraduates.
Designed primarily for master’s students.
Designed primarily for doctoral students.

Master’s = Courses and Thesis for masters students who will ordinarily have accumulated from 1 through 30 graduate hours, and students enrolled in professional schools (Law, Veterinary Medicine, M.D., Architecture, etc)

Doctoral = Courses for specialists and doctoral students who will ordinarily have completed greater than 30 hours of graduate work.

Numbers usually reserved for CO-OP courses: 281, 481 and 781 Numbers usually reserved for workshops: 150, 250, 350, 550 and 750

(Some departments are using 750-755)

Alphabetic suffixes to course numbers are assigned by the Registrar’s Office when needed to differentiate between different titles for the same root course - workshops and special topics courses are good examples.

Cross-listed courses: courses that are listed in two or more departments should, when possible, use the same course number in each department.

A sequence of courses: Each successive course in a set of courses that is normally taken in a prescribed sequence, should have a higher number than the one preceding it.