Historical Timeline of the W. Frank Barton School of Business

1895
Fairmount College was established as a co-educational institution.

1926
Wichita voters approved making Fairmount College the municipal University of Wichita. A College of Business Administration and Industry, with Frank Neff as dean, was included. The College was entirely based on co-operative education, with students alternating between classes and jobs. Engineering was included within the College. Offices for the College were housed in the south end of the third floor of Jardine Hall. Accounting was dropped in 1935 but was resumed in 1946.

1950
Dean Neff stepped down as Dean after 25 years at the helm. Kenneth Razak appointed as dean.

1951
College moved into Neff Hall, the first post-war building.

1953
Dean Razak stepped down as Dean. William Nielander appointed as dean.

1955
Engineering split off to become a separate college.

1957
Dean Nielander stepped down as Dean. Jack Heysinger appointed dean.

1964
After Herculean efforts by President Harry Corbin, the Kansas Legislature brought the University into the state system, creating "Wichita State University."
Fran Jabara named dean. Vigorous expansion of student body and faculty began.

1968
The College achieved accreditation by the top national business accreditation agency, the AACSB (American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business).

1970
The College achieved accreditation by the top national business accreditation agency, the AACSB (American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business).

1971
Fran Jabara stepped down as dean. Don Christenson appointed interim dean for a year.

1972
Lawrence McKibbin appointed dean.

1976
Doug Sharp appointed dean.

1977
Fran Jabara founds the Center for Entrepreneurship.

1981
School of Accountancy established.

1988
The College was dedicated as the "W. Frank Barton School of Business" on May 4. Groundbreaking was held for the new Devlin Hall built to house the Center for Entrepreneurship.

1990
Billy Mac Jones appointed interim dean for one year.

1991
Malcolm Richards appointed dean.

1993
Dr. Gerald Graham appointed dean.

1996
"Jabara Hall" was dedicated in honor of Fran Jabara and his 40 years of service to the university and the business school.

2000
Dr. John Beehler appointed dean.
School of Accountancy achieved the AACSB Accounting Accreditation.

2001
The 75th Anniversary of the Barton School of Business was celebrated.
Fran Jabara received the Faculty Lifetime Achievement Award as the most influential professor in the history of the school.
Dan Carney received the Distinguished Alumnus Award.
Dean Beehler establishes the first Business Week for students.

2007
Dr. Bart Hildreth is named as Interim Dean of the Barton School of Business.

2008
Dr. Douglas Hensler is appointed as Dean of the Barton School of Business.

2013
Dr. Cindy Claycomb is named as Interim Dean of the Barton School of Business.

2014
Dr. James Jordan-Wagner is named as Interim Dean of the Barton School of Business.
The Koch Global Trading Center is established and open for classes.

2015
Dr. Anand Desai is appointed as Dean of the Barton School of Business.

2018
Institute for the Study of Economic Growth is established with Dr. Theodore Bolema hired as first Executive Director.

2019
Dr. Larisa Genin is appointed as Dean of the Barton School of Business.