Certificate in Spanish for the Professions
Frequently Asked Questions


Which classes are required for the certificate?
SPAN 526. Advanced Spanish Grammar.
SPAN 559 Spanish for the Health Professions (or SPAN 552. Business Spanish; not currently being offered)
SPAN 557. Principles of Translation and Interpreting
SPAN 558. Advanced Translation and Interpreting
SPAN 561. Practicum in Spanish for the Professions (required of students who declare the certificate program in Fall 2019 or later)
Which courses will be offered this fall and this spring?
Principles of Translation and Interpreting (SPAN 557) is being offered in Fall 2019, and Advanced Translation and Interpreting (SPAN 558) will be offered in Spring 2020. SPAN 559 will be offered in Fall 2020.
SPAN 526 is offered every semester.
SPAN 561 (the practicum) can only be taken by students who have met all of the other requirements for the certificate; it is offered on a regular basis.
What are the prerequisites, and do I have to take them?
The prerequisites are SPAN 220 or SPAN 221, and SPAN 325. It is possible to receive credit by exam for both SPAN 220/221 and SPAN 325. You will need to contact our Undergraduate Advisor, Ms. Julie Henderson to schedule the corresponding exam (julie.henderson@wichita.edu). 
Is the certificate compatible with my major?
The Certificate in Spanish for the Professions can be combined with any major offered at WSU. Students who choose to pursue a double major may also participate in the certificate program. 
What is the difference between an academic certificate and a professional certification?
An Academic Certificate will prepare you in your path towards certification but will not make you “certified.”  To get certified you need to pass the certification exams offered either by the state or by national professional organizations. For interpreting there are two certification paths, one for legal/court interpreters and another one for medical interpreters. Translators get certified by ATA (American Translators Association) and you can find more information on their website: http://atanet.org/ 
Who is eligible to participate in the certificate program?
In order to declare the certificate, you must be either a current student at WSU, or be admitted (or readmitted) as an undergraduate student at WSU. Applications and full instructions are available from the Office of Admissions at www.wichita.edu/admissions. Graduate students are eligible to take some of the classes that are required for the certificate. However, graduate students may not to obtain the certificate, as it is an undergraduate degree.
How much does the certificate cost?
The cost will depend on your classification (as Kansas resident or out-of-state). The current cost per credit hour for Kansas residents is around $252. The current cost of online courses per credit hour for Kansas residents is around $301. A list of required tuition and fees can be found here: http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=tuitionfees&p=/2016/tuitionfees/. For a more accurate estimate, contact Accounts Receivable (WSUAccountsReceivable@wichita.edu).
How do I declare the certificate?
You can declare the certificate either by sending an e-mail to Ms. Julie Henderson (julie.henderson@wichita.edu) with your WSU ID and a simple statement of your will to do so (e.g. “I would like to declare a certificate in Spanish for the Professions”) or requesting it to your advisor at the college level (LAS, Business, Education, etc.) College advisors can add the certificate using the Change of Major Application. 
I have already submitted my application for graduation. Can I still declare the certificate?
If you have submitted an application for graduation, the certificate coordinator (Ms. Henderson) cannot assist you in declaring the certificate. You will need to contact your advisor at the college level. He or she will be able to help you.

<< Back to Spanish Home