How did you decide what to charge your patients?
Extensive research was done to establish our pricing. Other AEGD programs around the nation as well as specific AEGD programs in the Midwest were surveyed on their fee schedule. Based on this feedback as well as area general dentistry charges we established a fair market value on our services that is in line with other AEGD programs across the nation.

How does an Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) program differ from a General Practice Residency (GPR) program?
An AEGD program is usually based in a clinic not affiliated with a hospital. It tends to focus on advanced clinical dental training in all areas of general dentistry while providing the training to treat medically complicated cases appropriate to a private practice setting. Generally, off service rotations involve experiences in alternative clinical settings. A GPR program is usually affiliated with a hospital. It tends to focus more on comprehensive management of medically complicated cases in dentistry. Generally there are off-service rotations to other departments in the hospital.

Will I get paid for participating in the program?
Most AEGD programs do provide a stipend during the program. The current stipend for Wichita State University’s Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency is $40,000 per year.

Will I receive any benefits (health insurance, etc.) while enrolled in the program?
Residents do receive a benefit package with the stipend.

Can my educational loans from dental school be deferred?
Many educational loans from dental school are eligible for deferment during the continuation of (related) education such as an AEGD program. It is the applicant's responsibility to confirm this with the specific loams institution(s). The resident is responsible to submit the appropriate forms to the specific loan institution, as the program does not do this. The program will provide documentation to verify training status if required, such as letters of support or signatures.

How much time will I be in the clinic treating patients?
Residents spend approximately 80% - 85 % of their time in direct patient care

Do I need my own dental license? Do I need my own DEA number?
Although Residents are working under the direct supervision of program attending faculty, they are still required at this time to be eligible for a Kansas license. Residents must be graduates of an American dental school and passes Part I & Part II of the National Board Exam and a regional Clinical Board (NERB, SERTA, CRDTS, etc.). This makes them eligible to apply for a Kansas licensure. A DEA number is not required, but highly encouraged.

How much lab work do I need to do?
As part of comprehensive patient care, residents are responsible for completing the necessary laboratory preparatory work prior to sending out cases for fabrication. This includes diagnostic impressions and casts, jaw relations with accurate mountings, diagnostic wax-ups, surveyed casts with partial denture designs, and any other preparatory work appropriate to the individual case. The AEGD program does not have its own dental laboratory with CAD/CAM ceramic capability.

As a foreign graduate, am I qualified for an application? No, not at this time.

Are implants a part of the program?
The AEGD program has integrated implant treatment as a significant aspect of the restoration area of curriculum and clinical experience. The primary focus is placed on the diagnosis, treatment planning, and restorative procedures for implant treatment. Surgical placement of implants is not a primary focus of the program although residents have the opportunity to do so on a case-by-case basis.