WSU's Senior Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program lets you develop skills to be an effective leader and manage time, people and resources — all while getting a college education. The program offers a wide variety scholarships that allow you to either commission into active duty or into the National Guard or Army Reserves.
Have questions about ROTC? Schedule a virtual visit today!
We are available to discuss scholarships, enrollment and advising questions. If you have any questions or want to schedule a virtual visit with Mr. Shay, please feel free to call / text or email him between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. to schedule. Virtual tours will be done via Zoom on individual basis for now.
The Office of Admissions is currently conducting daily virtual briefs. Briefs occur twice on Mondays and Fridays and once on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Admissions is also hosting a transfer-specific virtual visit on Tuesday morning. Sign up at www.wichita.edu/visit. Check out the Wichita State Admissions page for open house tours.
Josh Shay, Recruiting, Scholarships and Enrollment Officer
Cell: 913-731-3382, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A wide variety of four-, three-, and two-year Federal and Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) scholarships are offered from Army ROTC. These scholarships will allow you to either commission into active duty or into the National Guard/Army Reserves. Additional scholarships are available for those pursuing a National Guard commission in the state of Kansas.
The scholarship pays:
- 100 percent tuition and fees or $5,000-per-semester housing stipend
- Book allowance = $600 per semester
- Monthly stipend = $420
- KSARNG SMP Cadets get full tuition and fees paid and can also get GRFD scholarships.
Student requirements for Army ROTC Scholarships:
- Minimum ACT of 19 required
- Maintain a full-time student enrollment (enrolled in a Military Science course each semester) of at least 12 hours undergraduate at least 9 hours graduate
- Maintain a semester cumulative GPA of 2.5 for scholarship
- Pass a medical examination
- Pass a physical fitness test
- Standards, for ages 17-21 are:
- Push-ups: Male - 42 / Female - 19
- Sit-ups: Male - 53 / Female - 53
- Two-mile run: Male - 15:54 / Female - 18:54
- Standards, for ages 17-21 are:
- Be commissioned as an Army 2nd Lieutenant by or at the age of 30 years (waiverable)
- Become an Army 2nd Lieutenant upon graduation.
- Your choice of: Active Army, National Guard or Army Reserves
- Apply for Wichita State University Scholarship.
Federal Scholarship recipients
Your total service obligation will be eight years (the first four years are full time active duty service). The remaining four years, you may elect to continue on active duty or enter the Inactive Ready Reserves, which is part time service.
National Guard and Army Reserves
With a scholarship, your total service obligation will be eight years. Without a scholarship, your service obligation will be six years. While serving you will attend drills one weekend per month and annual training for two weeks each summer.
Your total service obligation will be eight years (the first three years are full time active duty service). The remaining five years, you may elect to continue on active duty or enter the Army Reserves, which is part time service.
You will be commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the United States Army. Next, you will go to the Basic Officer Leadership Course, where you will study basic Army knowledge and the functioning of an Army unit. You will go to your first assignment, which can be anywhere in the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Germany or Korea. Your first assignment is determined by evaluating your college performance, ROTC standing and your preferences.
Training opportunities include:
- CULP (Cultural Understanding & Language Program)
- Airborne, Air Assault & Mountain Warfare Schools
- Project GO
- Go Ruck
- Bataan Memorial Death March
- Army 10 miler
- Nurse Summer Training Program
- Ranger Buddy
- Civilian Internship Opportunities
- Ranger Challenge
Full-time Active Duty
|Time on Active Duty||Rank||Gross Salary|
|1st year||2nd Lieutenant||$54,000|
|18 months||1st Lieutenant||$68,000|
|16th year||Lieutenant Colonel||$131,680|
Part-Time after Graduation (National Guard / Army Reserves)
|Time on Active Duty||Rank||Pay|
|1st year||2nd Lieutenant||$487.16|
|18 months||2nd / 1st Lieutenant||$507.00|
|39 months||1st Lieutenant||$736.26|
|20th year||Lieutenant Colonel||$1,412.30|
KSU - $19,600
KU - $18,700
WSU - $18,200
Full meal plan (7-day access) Annual Tuition & Fees (2 semesters)