The history of Project Management at WSU is fragmented with some department using PM and others none, frequently with different processes and tools. The good news is PM at WSU also has a history of continuous improvement. ITS started PM in 2015 when the first list of everything being requested of ITS was captured with limited data.
- Develop and manage effective project management plans for IT projects.
- Keep different variables of a project such as schedules, scope, deliverables and cost on track.
- Manage risk to projects and offer regular and accurate reports about project status/metrics.
- Develop a project communication plan and change management plan.
- Provide appropriate resources, tools & information to facilitate project management.
Our Goals and Purpose:
The purpose of the Project Management Office is to lead and manage the portfolio of key Information Technology Services (ITS) projects by applying portfolio and project management practices and working in a collaborative partnership with ITS and project stakeholders to ensure projects are aligned and executed in support of WSU strategic goals. The Director of Project Management serves as a member of the ITS Leadership Team.
- Realize consistency of project management processes, tools, information and resources.
- Establish a project portfolio and communicate the status of the portfolio to leadership.
- Establish a project management oversight process to provide visibility on project execution.
- Serve as resource to ITS for planning, tracking, and providing status on ITS projects.
- Provide training for the ITS team on project management processes and tools.
- Establish an ITS project 3 year roadmap with ongoing review of priority. [Future]
What ITS Project Management Tool is Used?
- Enables Project Requestors to submit and track requests
- Allows Portfolio Managers to review requests, and assign and monitor resources
- Includes functionality to automate processes by prepopulating forms and allowing the creation of workflows
- Automates status reports
- Option to automate survey requests upon project closure
- Centralized project documents repository
- Secure, hosted environment
- Strategic service enabler – Very powerful ITSM ticketing application, allows all assignments from operations and projects to be in one application and list for users' easy access and for Resource Management.
- Adheres to the latest ITIL/ITSM methodology which is the current industry standard