Recommendations and Meeting Minutes
Summary of Recommendations
The Diversity, Human Resources and Professional Development Task Force recommended the following:
- Creation of a new division: Workforce Diversity, Human Resources and Professional Development.
- A divisional budget fully funded.
- Vice President hired to develop strategic direction and provide operational leadership.
- Formalize a WSU definition of diversity.
- Develop a strategic, comprehensive diversity recruitment and retention plan– By college with applicable metrics.
- Implicit bias training – For all employees and search committee members.
- Recruiting reps to assist colleges on all aspects of the recruitment, selection and onboarding process.
- WSU to prioritize diversity hires.
- Recommend a salary and equity study (specific to gender and race) market-based pay transition completed.
- Develop and provide executive development opportunities, e.g.- leadership academy.
- Operationalize recommendations from the university campus climate survey.
- Align decision-making with university leadership priorities and strategic plan.
- Communicate academic units’ policies and expectations clearly.
- Create opportunities for faculty to participate in academic unit governance.
- Increase support for President’s Diversity Council and other inclusive excellence initiatives.
- Establish and promote mentoring for faculty/staff.
- Connect faculty/staff to campus and community resources within and outside the academic unit.
- Facilitate networking opportunities for faculty/staff.
- Consider leaves and other policies on an individual basis to best meet faculty needs.
- Establish ongoing assessment for success of program.